You are here
Can You Hear the Trees Talking?: discovering the hidden life of the forest
Age range 9 to 12
A walk in the park will never be the same after kids discover this awe-inspiring book.
Meet Peter Wohlleben - but you can call him Peter the Forester! With his groundbreaking, internationally bestselling book The Hidden Life of Trees, Peter Wohlleben established himself as a global advocate for forests and our relationship with trees. Now, Peter shares his famous imagination and storytelling style with children, asking surprising questions about trees with exciting quizzes, photographs, and hands-on activities to help even the most reluctant learners discover the answers.
- Did you know that trees have parents, and tree grandparents with wrinkles?
- That tree kids go to school for hundreds of years?
- That there is such a thing as the forest internet?
- And that trees make us healthy and strong?
- Sometimes, even trees get sick, but we can help them heal.
Can You Hear the Trees Talking? shares the mysteries and magic of the forest in language kids will love and understand.
'Children were talking with trees for centuries before scientists proved that trees communicate. What better guide to kids' conversation with our leafy neighbours than Peter Wohlleben, who revealed to adults the hidden lives of trees? This splendid book is bursting with exciting science. Better yet, Can You Hear The Trees Talking? fosters reverence and wonder for a forest far more magical than even fairy-tales claim.'
—Sy Montgomery, New York Times bestselling author and recipient of the Sibert Medal
Lets Go on a Journey of Discovery
Chapter 1: How Trees Work?
- how do trees breath?
- how do trees think?
- can trees get thinner?
- why don't tress fall over?
Chapter 2: Growing Up in the Forest
- how do trees make babies?
- do trees have grandparents?
- what do tree children learn at school?
- do trees get pimples?
Chapter 3: Friends and Enemies on the Forest
- can trees talk?
- is there a forest internet?
- why do fungi grow on trees?
- what makes trees sick?
Chapter 4: Every Tree is Different
- what are trees afraid of?
- do some trees prefer to be alone?
- are some trees brave?
- which trees are record holders?
Chapter 5: Animals in the Forest
- who lives way up hugh?
- who can fit into a leaf?
- who's the best forest detective?
- are there farmers in the forest too?
Chapter 6: Trees Are Awesome
- can trees make it rain?
- how do forests clean water?
- why are trees important in the city?
- do trees sleep at night?
Chapter 7: A Year in a Forest
- how do trees know when its spring?
- do trees sweat in summer?
- why do trees shed their leaves in fall?
- what's there to eat in the forest in winter?