Smile at Fear: awakening the true heart of bravery
Many of us, without even realizing it, are dominated by fear. We might be aware of some of our fears—perhaps we are afraid of public speaking, financial hardship, or losing a loved one. But in this book meditation master Chögyam Trungpa shows us that most of us suffer from a far more pervasive form of fear: the fear of ourselves. We feel ashamed and embarrassed to look at our feelings or acknowledge our styles of thinking and behaving; we don't want to face the reality of our moment-to-moment experience. It is this fear that keeps us trapped in cycles of suffering, despair, and distress.
Chögyam Trungpa offers us a vision of moving beyond fear to discover the innate bravery, trust, and delight in life that lies at the core of our being. Drawing on the Shambhala tradition and on Buddhist teachings, he explains how we can each become a spiritual warrior: a person who faces each moment of life with openness and fearlessness. "The ultimate definition of bravery is not being afraid of who you are," writes Chögyam Trungpa.
In language that is fresh, accessible, and startlingly direct, this book explains:
* how the practice of sitting meditation can help us to uncover our inherent confidence and bravery,
* how fear and embarrassment about ourselves keep us trapped in cycles of suffering,
* the wisdom of loving-kindness and nonaggression,
* how true invincibility depends on becoming more open and vulnerable.
Here are the essential insights and strategies that will allow us to finally claim victory over fear.
"Powerful dharma encouragement to awaken our own fearless and wise heart—from one of the most remarkable and brilliant teachers of modern times."
"The teachings presented in this book are transformational—and especially relevant today, when so many of us are facing uncertainty and anxiety. Chögyam Trungpa shows us how to uncover our innate strength, confidence, and joy under any circumstances. I strongly recommend this book to all those seeking awakening and freedom."
"There is no one better than Chögyam Trungpa to show us how to be fearless. He overcame great difficulties while remaining true to his principles—bravery, compassion, and gentleness. These are the qualities of a Shambhala warrior, which shine through brilliantly in this book."
—Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
Editor’s Preface ix
Part One: The Way of the Warrior
1. Facing Yourself 3
2. Meditation: Touch and Go 11
3. The Moon in Your Heart 19
4. The Sun in Your Head 25
5. Indestructible Nature 29
6. Sacred World 35
7. The Education of the Warrior 39
8. Nonviolence 45
Part Two: The Path of Fearlessness
9. Overcoming Doubt 55
10. The Tools of Bravery 63
11. Unconditional Fearlessness 69
12. Joining Heaven and Earth 75
13. Making Friends with Fear 83
14. Monumental Nonexistence 87
Part Three: Riding the Energy of Windhorse
15. Unconditional Confidence 93
16. Discovering Windhorse 97
17. The Spark of Confidence 103
18. The Other Side of Fear 107
19. Invincibility 111
20. How to Invoke Windhorse 115
Fearlessness and Joy Are Truly Yours 125
Editor’s Afterword 127
Further Readings and Resources 137
About Chögyam Trungpa 141